Dealing with back pain – when should you see a doctor?

Dealing with back pain – when should you see a doctor?

Studies show that 8 in 10 persons are experiencing back pains at least once a year. Most of the times the pain goes away if they rest. But if you are dealing with back pain for a long period, and it doesn’t seem to improve you should seek medical care.  Painkillers are effective in most of the cases, so you should visit the local pharmacy and ask the specialist to recommend some medications.

Why do you feel discomfort in your back?

Nerve pain, joint pain and muscle pain are only some of the factors that lead to backaches. There are also times when back pains can be a symptom of a more serious health problem like cancer, infection or fracture in the spine. The last conditions are quite rare and they affect only a very small number of people.

When should you schedule a consultation?

When you first experience back pains you should apply ice and warm showers and take come standard pain-relieving medications. It’s advisable to rest for a while, and this doesn’t mean that you should lay in the bed all day long. You should stay active but avoid actions that put a strain on your back.

If the aches are severe for multiple weeks, and you have difficulties in completing your daily activities, you should consult a doctor. It’s advisable to schedule a check if your back pain is associated with fever if the trauma is the cause of the discomfort, if you also experience the loss of bowel or bladder function, if you have started to lose weight since you’ve started to feel pains. The specialists from state that the patients who have a risk of fractures, infection or cancer in the spine should always be more cautious, and they should address a specialist the moment they feel back discomfort.

What specialist should you see?

When an injury or strain is the factor that led to back pains, it’s advisable to see your primary doctor, they can make further recommendations. Severe pain accompanied by other symptoms like tingling in the legs is a sign that you should consult a back doctor. A professional specialised in nonsurgical treatment can check your state and make a diagnosis. A chiropractor, physiatrist or orthopaedic physician can assess your state and identify the causes that lead to this health condition.

According to your health state, the expert may refer to another professional.

What should you expect during your doctor visit?

On your first doctor visit, the specialist will check your medical history and perform some examinations to determine the extent of the condition you are experiencing. They will probably check your reflexes, strength, tenderness, and sensation.

According to the symptoms you are experiencing, they can also make provocative tests to try to identify what triggers your discomfort. Sometimes the doctor is ordering CT scans, an MRI and X-rays to check for hidden triggers. All the details they get during the consult will help them determine the condition you are suffering from, and the treatment that will help you.

Steve Volk