How to get Rid of the Mold in Your Basement

How to get Rid of the Mold in Your Basement

Having mold in your basement is not something out of the ordinary since most people face this problem, but this doesn’t mean it’s a good thing and you have to live with it. If your house has a basement covered in mold that keeps you from using this room, you should solve this problem as soon as possible using the tips you will discover in the following article.

Eliminate the source of mold

Mold is caused by excessive moisture in the air, meaning that water vapors in the air get inside the walls, the floors, the furniture, and the fabrics in a room and cause mold spores to develop. These mold spores are not only very unpleasant to see, but they are also extremely dangerous for your health. Therefore, the first step in getting rid of the mold in your basement is getting rid of its source, and the best way to do that is to use a basement dehumidifier. Do some research in order to see which is the best buy dehumidifier, as the prices of these devices can vary greatly of seemingly similar units. The basement models are larger than other types of dehumidifiers and they have a higher absorption power that allows them to retain more moisture from larger areas. All you have to do is set the level of humidity you want to achieve and let the dehumidifier work until it removes the moisture from the air in the basement. Using a basement dehumidifier will adjust the level of humidity in the basement so you will be able to say goodbye to mold forever. The best buy dehumidifier should be affordable and it should have a few key features such as the possibility to connect to a drain, an integrated humidistat and programmable options.

Use bleach on porous surfaces

In case the mold has gotten into porous surfaces, you will have to clean in depth so the mold spores will go away. The easiest way to do this is to use bleach, but you will have to handle it with care because the chlorine is highly irritating for the eyes and skin. Spray some bleach over the mold-affected surface and let it work for a while without rubbing the area in order to avoid spreading the spores. Bleach works in depth and it manages to kill bacteria and mold spores and the area treated with bleach will stay mold-free for a long time.

Protect the basement in the future

If you have carpets in the basement, it’s likely that they are covered in mold because they retain moisture, so replace the carpets with tiles or linoleum because these don’t stay wet and don’t encourage mold forming. If the walls are severely affected, scrub them and apply a layer of latex-based paint that works as a sealer that keeps mold spores away from the porous surface of the walls.

Steve Volk

You must be logged in to post a comment